Ever been in love?
Where every breath, thought and feeling is for that one person. Time doesn’t matter. Sleep doesn’t matter. We just want to be with them. All. The. Time.
It’s the Edward and Bella (main characters in the Twilight series) phenomenon. Oh! How we love the way Edward loves Bella! His intensity and fervor. The way he honors her. How he cherishes her. His protection, provision, and loving expressions. The unlimited time he has for her (since he never sleeps).
No matter Bella’s flaws (we’re overlooking Edward’s obvious vampire issue here), even when she hurts or offends him – he never lets her go. It’s this unrelenting, powerful love that brings out the best in her. Who wouldn’t want to run into the arms of someone who loves us so much??
We love the stories because we all know there’s more to life. We crave more. To stretch out our hand and find we’re cherished by such powerful, fervent, unending love too.
And we love the stories because deep down, we also know it’s possible.
God has put eternity in our hearts – Ecclesiastes 3:11
The knowledge that there really is an immortal one who reaches for us – for you – when you stretch toward eternity. To pull you into his arms, take hold of your weary human heart and cherish you so profoundly you will never be the same again.
- His love for you is eternal. (Jeremiah 31:3)
- His thoughts of you outnumber the grains of sand. (Psalm 139:11)
- His plans for you are good. (Jer 29:11)
- Nothing can separate you from His love. (Rom 8:38-39)
- He knows what you need and long for (Matt 6:8)
- He makes you stronger against life’s challenges (Psalm 18:34)
- He provides for you. (Matt 6:30)
- He protects you. (Psalm 18:2)
- He designed you – and adores you that way. (Psalm 139)
- He always forgives you when you ask. (1 John 1:9)
- He waits patiently for you when you lose touch in life’s busyness. (Rev 3:20)
In other words, God is our Edward. But infinitely better.
Because He’s real.
You are that important to God. Your life matters that much to Him. When He looks at you, He sees someone amazing. Someone He loves like crazy.
When life drains you, drains the color right from your cheeks and the hope from your heart, will you fall into His arms today? Let Him love you fervently and strong and beyond all comprehension? Let Him remind you that to Him you are beautiful beyond words?
I hope so.