Are you being who you were meant to be in life?
It may seem like an esoteric question, but it’s not. God wants us to live fully for Him, and that means being fully who He equipped and gifted us to be. Daily. Even though we’re moms. Even though about a thousand things vie for our attention and energy every day.
Because that’s how we’ll actually know the abundant life God longs to give us.
As a coach I love observing how people be who they’re meant to be in daily life. My kids’ Principal is one of those people. I love how he not only encourages academics but emphasizes character in his Friday morning assemblies. Every week he highlights people who’ve revealed compassion, honesty, civility, and perseverance, and encourages all of us – the whole community – to stretch and grow in these areas.
What about you? Who were you meant to be? Perhaps you can answer that instantly.
Maybe you know you’re an encourager, a game-changer, a strategist, or a connecter of people or ideas. Or maybe you (like me some days) struggle to get in that shower or even remember your own name.
Wherever you find yourself, here are a few questions to get focused on the you that wants to shine bright in God’s design and giftings.
- If I could wave a magic wand and life would be awesome, how would it be different than right now? Sincerely and honestly, what would be different or feel different? How would you act, think or respond different? What God-inspired dream would you pursue? Really let yourself imagine this scenario and write down key words or images that come to mind.
- What is one thing I could do today to move toward this vision? We’re not made to ponder without moving forward. So how could we step – even tiptoe – toward that awesome life we envision? “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” – James 2:26
- Who can help me start or continue moving in that direction? What friends can we enlist to bolster our resolve, and support us in the doubts and changes that growth brings? Who can bring resources, wisdom or humor to bear in this pursuit?
- Which of my personal characteristics can help me right now? Change means doing something different, and that brings growing pains. But as a dear friend reminded me recently, we can always take what we know about ourselves (and God) into the unknown. So what do you know about you? What are you good at? What will be easy for you in taking that next step? Lean in to that!
- Do I have any unfinished business that needs finishing? Nobody knows our design and giftings better than the one who knit us together in the womb. Has He given direction or put a call on your heart – even years ago – that remains unfulfilled? Perhaps it’s time to go back to that last known step in your journey and see what God would do as you finish what you started.
Going through this process once may not lead you fully to God’s best life for you. It takes a willingness to do this until you find the diamond in the rough stuff of life. So don’t get discouraged. Set a date on your phone, laptop or paper calendar to review these once a month. Sit with the family and ask them the same things. Ask your children who they see in you, what they like most about you, and to pray with you about this process.
Don’t let another day go by without taking a moment to ponder these questions. And, if they seem just plain overwhelming, can I give you a gift to help?
Leave a comment below, answering any one of the 5 questions above and be entered to win a FREE MONTH OF COACHING. Let’s dig in together and help you get on track with God’s best for your life!
Giveaway winner will be announced and emailed (so be sure to include your email as you register to comment) on August 26 at 12 p.m. PT.